Monday, October 13, 2014

Prawn Pajeon


Monday, probably the worst day in the week for most of us. You feel tired, uninspired and just can’t be bothered with anything when you get back home. It’s one of those days that I definitely want just over and done with. Tuesday feels better as you know you’re just that tad bit closer to freedom… I mean weekend! You still have to eat something though, so this recipe is for those Mondays where you need a quick, tasty dinner.
 
Every Sunday I sit down and spread a few of my cookbooks and loose recipes in front of me to choose what I will cook that week. This process usually take half an hour to an hour and then I start my post it ingredient list. I’m a little obsessed with lists. I will even rewrite it couple of times, grouping the ingredients which will make my supermarket shopping experience quicker and more efficient. I’m like a woman possessed when I enter the supermarket. My dollar in hand ready for the trolley and no one better stand in my way.

For Mondays I will always find the easiest recipe to do, that requires the least effort, least amount of ingredients but that doesn’t compromise on taste. Prawn Pajeon is one of those recipes. Originating from Korea, it is eaten as a warm snack. It’s basically a thick savoury pancake that is crisp on the outside and doughy on the inside. I have decided to make 3 Prawn Pajeons to share between 2 people for dinner and it is definitely filling enough. Ok, maybe my partner ate 2 and I ate one. But we don’t judge here. This recipe is done quickly so probably best idea to make it just before its eaten, as you really don’t want to eat it cold or re-heat it.

Prawn Pajeon 

Prep: 10 mins
Stand time: 15
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 3 pancakes (shared by 2 people)


INGREDIENTS:

2 cups plain flour
4 tbsp corn flour
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups water
8 spring onions, trimmed
8 tbsp sesame oil
2 cups raw peeled prawns, roughly chopped (divide into 3 portions)
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Dipping sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp sugar
A pinch of toasted sesame seeds



METHOD
 
1. To make the batter, simply whisk the plain flour, corn flour, eggs, salt and water together. To avoid lumps I alternate between adding water and flour in little dozes and whisk. Leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Put your sesame seeds in the oven to toast. Keep an eye on them as they only need a few minutes to get done.
3. Use the green end of the spring onion. Cut to fit into your pan. Half or quarter down the middle depending on the size of your spring onion. I prefer to use medium size pan that is non stick (size of a standard dinner plate).

 
 
4. For the dipping sauce, mix all ingredients together and set aside.
5. Chop up your prawns.
6. Put your pan on medium heat with 1.5 tablespoons of sesame oil
7. So everything is ready to start frying.  Scatter the spring onion in one direction on your pan, followed by 1 portion of prawns. Let the prawns fill in the gaps between the spring onion so everything is nice and even.

 
8. Pour over the batter to cover the onions and prawns. Cook each side for about 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Repeat for the other 2 pancakes.

 


 
 I like to serve up my pancake by cutting it into pieces and just grab with your hand, dip in and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment